Monday, November 25, 2013

Nissan Leaf

Driving a 2002 Dodge Dakota for my daily commute makes me reflect on my wallet everytime I fill it up. For the same price that I am paying for gas I can cover the cost of a new vehicle. If the new vehicle is all electric then I would be even better off. The way the math works is a $3.50 a gallon I am paying $8400 over 36K miles. For a 3 year lease on a Leaf, I would be out about $9500+ monthly electric bill increases. So a three year experiment including electricity is about the cost of a mac book.
I bought a Nissan Leaf on October 31. The purchase process took way too long. I should have been able to get out of there in less than an hour especially since they had to ship it in from Idaho. It arrived on November 5.  I went to the dealership to pick it up that morning. After going over all of the features, I was ready to take it off the lot.

After going a mile the heater was still not warming up, at least the standard seat and steering wheel warmers were working fine. After about three miles, I called the sales person and said "I'm freezing! The heater must be broken." Of course I couldn't help but thinking, "how stupid am I that I can't figure out how to operate the heater on this car. Is there some switch that I am missing somewhere." I had to get to work and I figured I would just take it back at the end of the day.
When I came into the office, everyone was gawking out the window and the new golf cart I was driving. So I got to answer all of the fun questions about the all-electric car which was great except the heater is broken. If I would have put the money towards a mac book at least it would have kept my lap hot.
At the end of the day I took it back to the dealership and after waiting another 1.5 hours they said that they need to order a new heater block and they would give me a loaner Altima until my car was ready.
So then the waiting game began. I got an email from the dealership thanking me for my purchase and telling me that they were sure I was enjoying the new car. About a week later on the same day as the lease payment bill came in the mail, I got a package from the dealership. It was a blanket. Mass marketing epic fail - When a brand-new car is in the shop for a heater in the winter time a blanket is about the most ironic gift possible.
After talking with the general manager, he offered to cover the first lease payment and also to cover the gas on the loaner. Everyone is frustrated with the situation, but they are trying to make it right.
On November 21, the dealership called us twice. One time to let my wife know that the plates were in and we should arrange to come in to get them put on the car. My wife responded with "You should go stick them on the car since it is still at your dealership." The other time was to let me know that the heater box has finally been shipped, so maybe I will get my car before Thanksgiving.
After about four weeks, I finally get to drive my new car. Now my three year experiment with an all-electric car can finally begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment