Wednesday, December 3, 2008

First trip to the Dentist

Thyse went to the dentist today for the very first time. I thought the experience would turn out something like this picture. He is such a stinker whenever I try to brush his teeth. After minutes of coaxing and being nice, I usually have to pin him to the ground and hold his head still with my knees while he screams the entire time. The screaming is actually helpful because despite the noise at least his mouth is now open wide enough for me to get the toothbrush in. Two weeks ago he came with to Maili and Bryton's appointments and I've been trying to prepare him ever since. He has not gotten any better at letting me brush his teeth.

When the hygienist took him back she said they probably wouldn't attempt to clean his teeth at this age. First Dr. Roth would check his teeth and then they would decide from there. Thyse laid down in the chair, put his little head phones on and started watching Over the Hedge on the ceiling. He was such an angel when the dentist checked his teeth that they decided to go ahead and clean them. I was still worried because tooth paste seems to be the thing that makes Thyse hate the whole experience. And of course for the hygienist he was perfectly calm and happy too! Why is this experience such a nightmare every night but then in the big scary dentists office where every other kid freaks out is he so calm. Don't get me wrong - I am grateful and relieved. I just hope Thyse will realize as I brush his teeth with his new froggy toothbrush, that I can be just as much fun as the cute hygienist. Well - its 7:36 pm - time to put my kids to bed - and see if my hopes can become realities.

2 comments:

  1. Oh man, I am glad I am not the only mom who has had to hold down a screaming child to brush his teeth! I've done that same head between the knees maneuver many times myself. I'm glad Brielle doesn't have any teeth yet and my boys are old enough to brush their own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember going through this exact thing with Matthew... and had the same thought as you- glad he's screaming because I can actually brush his teeth now! Ha ha!

    ReplyDelete