Sunday, July 12, 2009

Echo Triathlon - MY FIRST

This Summer my goal was to complete a Triathlon - I jumped right in with the olympic distance Triathlon, which is 1500 meter swim in open water, 25 mile bike ride, and a 10K run. The traithlon was held at Echo reservoir right next to Coalville, Utah - 15 minutes east of Park City for those not from Utah. We had our niece Ashley stay the night so Russ and I could wake up and leave by 4:30 am to make it out there for the race. Our stake president, David Roth, awas also racing and rode up with us. We had to park about 1.5 miles from the race start and bike in with all of our gear etc. Here I am at 6am ready to bike to the lake.



Almost 7am! Time to get my wetsuit on! I'm in the second wave - starting at 7:05. So when you see my finish time deduct 5 minutes.



The water is actually way warmer than the air - I can't wait to get in!


Back from the swim - out of the water in 30 minutes and 3rd place in my age division.

I had a somewhat slow transiton - time to head out for my ride.
Cycling turned out to be my weakest segment - I was passed like crazy and was 14th for the cycling split.
Although I teach SPIN at the gym I just recently got my bike and had only ridden it maybe 5 times beofre the race.

I had a slow transition for T2 as well - about 5 minutes - because I had to make a visit to the Honey Buckets before I could start my run.



I ran my fastest 10K time ever - came in 4th for the running split. My time was 47:31, which is a 7:41 minute mile. SO I love how everyone's event and age division are written on their leg in marker. It was really motivating to work hard to pass women when I saw that they had done they olympic distance and were my same age - then I knw it counted for my rank to pass them and would work even that much harder!

And finally the finish!

If you want to see my stats go here

I loved it and can't wait to do another one.....but for now I need to concentrate on the St. George Marathon this fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment